Heart Disease (rebroadcast)
#196 Monday, November 25, 2019
Carl Franklin and Richard Morris talk about the science behind heart disease, a component of cardiovascular disease. What is it? When did it start becoming a real problem? How did it happen? Does a ketogenic diet help mitigate it? Of course, the entire discussion is based on solid science, which they have provided links to. Originally published May 31, 2016
Listen Now (63 minutes)
- The Carbohydrate Addicts diet
- VIDEO: Prof. Jeff Volek - 'The Art and Science of Low Carb Living: Cardio-Metabolic Benefits and Beyond'
- Carotid Intima-Media Thickness Test
- People with known heart disease: number needed to treat to save one life = 83
- People who had never had a heart attack: number needed to treat to save one life = 8
- NMR (Nuclear Magnetic Resonance) LipoProfile Blood Test
- Austin et al 1990 "Atherogenic lipoprotein phenotype. A proposed genetic marker for coronary heart disease risk"
- VIDEO: Reason for LDL Increase for Some on a Low Carb Diet
- Krauses et al 2005 Influence of dietary carbohydrate and fat on LDL and HDL particle distributions.
- Dr. Aseem Maholtra – 2015 Cape Town, South Africa LCHF Convention Lecture
- 23 Studies on Low-Carb and Low-Fat Diets – Time to Retire The Fad
- Sharman et al 2002 "A ketogenic diet favorably affects serum biomarkers for cardiovascular disease in normal-weight men."
- VIDEO: Christopher Gardner Stanford school of Medicine (the AtoZ trial)
- Prediabetes in California: Nearly Half of California Adults on Path to Diabetes
- Kraft insulin assay
- Effect of Intra-arterial Insulin on Tissue Cholesterol and Fatty Acids in Alloxan-Diabetic Dogs
- Volek et al 2009 "Effects of dietary carbohydrate restriction versus low-fat diet on flow-mediated dilation."
- Non-HDL Cholesterol is a More Superior Predictor of Small-Dense LDL Cholesterol than LDL Cholesterol in Japanese Subjects with TG Levels <400 mg/dL
- The Triglyceride/HDL Cholesterol Ratio
- Coronary Calcium Scan
- VIDEO: Ivor Cummins - Heart Disease Prevention & More - Widowmaker Full Q&A Session
- Carl's Recipe: Mahler's Low Carb Bread
- Richard's Recipe: Mayonnaise
- Study: Effects of Low-Carbohydrate and Low-Fat Diets: A Randomized Trial