#32 Monday, September 19, 2016
Richard Morris and Carl Franklin hand over the mics this week to Brenda Zorn and Kim Howerton, both admins on the 2 Keto Dudes Facebook group. Brenda and Kim are here to talk about the unique challenges that women face around the ketogenic way of life. Hormones, periods, PCOS, fertility, pregnancy, menopause, weight loss, and more. This is the first of what we hope will be many more 2 Keto Dudes shows where Brenda and Kim talk about these issues in depth.
Errata:The podcast that Kim refers to that discussed how women lose weight slower than men is a lecture by Dr Robert Cywes at the Cape town LCHF conference - see the show notes. Also, Carl said that if a mother eats a high carb diet while pregnant the baby may have a predisposition toward insulin sensitivity. He meant insulin resistance. Also, many people thought Brenda said "Dr. Fung says women shouldn't fast." She was actually echoing the myth that Fung refers to that women should not fast. She may have not chosen her words correctly, but that was her intent, to refer to the myth pointed out by Dr. Fung.
Listen Now (53 minutes)
- 2KD Blog
- Blog post: Fat Deficit calculator
- YOUTUBE: Big Sugar, Big Money, and the Obfuscated Truth About Heart Disease
- NY Times: Is Alzheimer's Type 3 Diabetes?
- Alzheimers is Type 3 Diabetes
- BOOK: Grain Brain by Dr David Perlmutter
- Insulin resistance and the polycystic ovary syndrome: mechanism and implications for pathogenesis.
- Robert Cywes on why women lose weight slowly at first
- Dr. Fung on fasting for women
- Richard's Blueberry white chocolates
- Kim's Recipe: Lemon Curd
- Brenda's Recipe: Pork Rind Pancakes