Optimizing Nutrition with Marty Kendall
#43 Monday, December 5, 2016
Carl Franklin and Richard Morris welcome Marty Kendall, a civil engineer fascinated with nutrition, to discuss his work dissecting our relationship between food, nutrition, metabolism, and weight loss. A hallmark of Marty's work is describing the best approach for different metabolic states and body types. This is a fascinating discussion that explains a lot of our eating behavior in the last 50 years. Carl talks about his experiments with macadamia nuts, the results of which support the science.
Listen Now (59 minutes)
Marty KendallI'm an engineer with an interest in nutrition who tries to optimise things with numbers. My wife is a type 1 diabetic and I have a genetic predisposition for type 2 diabetes and obesity. Recently by refining our diet to prioritize low insulinogenic, high fibre and high nutrient density foods I'm pleased to say that Monica has been able to achieve of improved blood sugar control, increased energy and reduced depression and anxiety that so often comes with blood sugar disregulation. She's now able to enjoy working as a teacher rather than just getting through the morning and needing to sleep the afternoon before picking up the kids. Her only regret is that she didn't discover this earlier so she didn't have to spend decades living in a fog with limited energy. <br/><br/> After years of dabbling in diet and nutrition I've been able to step up to a new level of vitality, reach my ideal weight and reverse my pre-diabetes. We have also seen dramatic improvements in the health and happiness of our kids by changing what they eat. For me this is personal, and I'm passionate, and I hope that our journey can help to shortcut your path to optimum health. There are always new things to learn in the world of health and nutrition. The range of conflicting ideas makes it difficult to craft a cohesive dietary narrative to achieve health and wellness. <br/><br/> My aim is to consolidate a range of ideas into a system that will enable an individual to tailor their nutritional choices to their goals whether they be weight loss, blood sugar management or athletic performance. This approach builds on LCHF, paleo and ketogenic frameworks to minimise the negative effects of excess insulin while maximising nutrition through eating real, luxurious and delicious food.
- Homeostatic Model Assessment
- Dave Feldman's Cholesterol Code: The infographic version
- Dr Fung: Insulin Index – Hormonal Obesity XXII
- Marty Kendall: An overview of energy density, food hyper-palatability, and foraging theory.
- An insulin index of foods: the insulin demand generated by 1000-kJ portions of common foods.
- Marty Kendall: Optimal Foods for Different Goals
- Potato diet
- Marty Kendall: Building a better nutrient density index
- Marty Kendall: Insulin load: the greatest thing since carb counting?
- Marty Kendall: Low energy density high nutrient density foods for weight loss
- The glucose ketone index calculator: a simple tool to monitor therapeutic efficacy for metabolic management of brain cancer
- Richard's Recipe: Bacon soup with cauli-dumplings
- Marty's show notes. Links to further information